Unfortunately, the UDI cannot answer questions regarding the polices waiting times for booking an appointment. Only the police have access to the booking calendar. You can find more information about waiting times on the polices website (external website)
There are long waiting times to get an appointment at the police where I live. Can I book an appointment in another police district?
No, you must book an appointment with the police closest to where you live. If there are several police stations accepting applications in the police district you belong to, you must choose one of those as a meeting place when filling in your application.
After you have sent the application, it is unfortunately not possible to change the meeting place. The application is sent exclusively to the police station you chose and is not accessible for other police stations. If there are no free appointments at the meeting place you selected, you must check for free appointments later.
If you have chosen the wrong meeting place, you must fill in, send, and pay for a new application. In the new application, you must choose the right meeting place. If you paid a fee for the first application, you must contact the police you sent the first application to and request a refund.
Can I change the information or the location of my appointment on an already submitted application?
If you have already filled in the electronic application and have paid any potential fees, the application will be marked completed». Then, it is not possible to change the information you have submitted in the electronic application.
It is also not possible to change your appointment location or book an appointment at another location to submit documents. If you have applied to the wrong location, you must reapply and possibly ask the police or the embassy to refund the fee on your first application.
The embassy or the police can edit minor errors in the information in the application when you attend your booked appointment. You must bring written information about what you want the embassy/police to change for you.
Must I book a new appointment after having received an answer to my application?
Many applicants do not have to meet twice with the police now. If you are a citizen of a country outside of the EU/EEA and provided biometric identifiers when you handed in the application, you do not need to meet with the police again after a decision is made in your case. For many applicants, the police can order a residence card without the applicant meeting a second time in the same case. The letter you receive together with the decision, will inform you whether you must meet with the police again or not.
- employees where the employer has applied online on behalf of the applicant
- residence permits where the applicant applied from abroad
- residence permits where the applicant had the opportunity to hand in the application only by uploading the documents electronically and did not meet with the police (rules that followed the corona pandemic)
- residence permits where the applicant handed in the application to the police before the new biometrics system was introduced on
- citizens of countries outside the EU/EEA who have been granted a family immigration permit with a person who has EU/EEA rights in Norway, and who handed in the application before (the police then need biometrics for the residence card)
If you need to book a new appointment after you have received a decision from the UDI/police, you must do this in the Application Portal.